Freshwater Lake Beaches
Halifax Regional Municipality has a number of great places to swim, however, not all are safe
and/or lifeguard supervised. Residents are encouraged to swim at supervised beach locations.
- The Lifeguards are certified by the Lifesaving Society of Canada, with specialized
training, first aid & emergency equipment.
- Pre-season and daily maintenance
- The Department of Health does weekly water quality tests
- Lifeguards provide water safety education
- Supervision from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm daily, July 1 - August 30.
Albro Beach ||Big Albro Lake ||Dartmouth
Birch Cove Beach ||Banook Lake ||Dartmouth
Campbell Point Beach|| Hatchet Lake ||Halifax
Chocolate Beach ||Chocolate Lake ||Halifax
Commons Pool ||Central Commons Park ||Halifax
Fenerty Beach ||Paper Mill|| Lake Bedford
Kearney Beach ||Kearney Lake ||Halifax
Kidston Beach ||Kidston Lake ||Halifax
*Kinap Beach ||Porter's Lake ||Eastern Shore
Kinsman Beach ||First Lake|| Sackville
Lake Echo Beach ||Lake Echo ||Eastern Shore
Long Pond Beach ||Long Pond ||Halifax
Penhorn Beach ||Penhorn Lake ||Dartmouth
Pleasant Drive Beach ||Petpeswick Lake ||Eastern Shore
Saunders Beach ||Paper Mill Lake ||Bedford
Sheet Harbour ||TBA ||Eastern Shore
Shubie Beach|| Lake Charles (Shubie Park) ||Dartmouth
Springfield Beach ||Springfield Lake ||Sackville
Beaverbank ||TBA ||Sackville
Webber's Beach|| Lake Charlotte ||Eastern Shore
* No weekend supervision at these sites.
Saltwater Ocean Beaches
Here are some of the better ocean beaches in the Halifax area:
- Clam Harbour Beach off Highway. 7.
Clam Harbour Beach hosts the annual Sandcastle-Sculpture Contest, held in August. Supervised on weekends only (10am to 6pm)
- Lawrencetown Beach Highway. 207
The top of the hill at Lawrencetown gives you a panorama of the magnificent beach stretching out into the distance. A popular place for surfers year-round.
- Martinique Beach
The longest, white sand beach in Nova Scotia reminds you of the Caribbean. Enjoy the 2 mile beach walk.
- Taylors Head Beach
Taylor's Head, j ust west of Sheet Harbour, is a nature lover's paradise. It has ten miles of headland, several secluded beaches and many picturesque hiking trails
- Queensland Beach
At St. Margaret's Bay, Highway. 3. Supervised beach.
- Rainbow Haven Provincial Beach Highway. 207 to Bissett Road.
Full facilities. Nearest serviced beach park to downtown Halifax.
Here are several unsupervised beaches in the area:
- Cleveland Beach (ocean) St. Margaret's Bay, Highway. 3. Minimal facilities.
- Crystal Crescent Beach (ocean) Highway. 349, on the open Atlantic. No facilities.
- Laurie Provincial Park (lake) on Shubenacadie Grand Lake, Highway 2. Boating, camping.
- Lewis Lake(lake) Upper Tantallon, Highway 3. Accessible, facilities, trails, fishing.
- Martinique Beach (ocean) off Highway 7/107. Minimal facilities. At 5km, the longest beach in Nova Scotia.
- Oakfield Provincial Park (lake) on Shubenacadie Grand Lake, Highway 2. Large picnic area, small beach, boat ramp, minimal facilities, accessible.
- Porter's Lake (lake) south of Highway 7. Large freshwater lake near ocean. Boating, swimming, fishing, facilities, camping.
- Taylor Head(ocean) off Highway 7. Minimal facilities. Hiking, swimming.