Halifax Nova Scotia Nearby Towns and Attractions: Grande-Pre
The name Grand-Pre means "great meadows" in French, referring to the dyked lands in the area. The dykes were built in the late 1600s by early settlers who had moved from Port Royal, to reclaim fertile marine sediments and helped to make this one of the largest settlements in Acadia. A French attack at Grand-Pre to retake Acadia at the cost of 100 lives convinced the British that their only option was to deport the Acadians. This expulsion, which sent thousands of Acadians to Louisiana in 1783, was the basis of the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poem "Evangeline." Today, the community has 300 residents.
FoundLocally's Business listings for Grand-Pre
Grand Pré National Historic Site
P.O. Box 150
Grand Pré, NS, B0P 1M0
Site of the church and cemetery of the 17th-18th century Acadian village that became the scenic setting for Longfellow's narrative poem Evangeline. Commemorates the Acadians of the Minas Basin and the Deportation. Sweeping gardens memorial church with paintings, stained glass, exhibits.
Open year round, interpretation available May 15-Oct 27. Allow 30 minutes. Admission fee.
Church of the Covenanters
Hwy 1010 Exit 10,
This church was built by New Englanders from 1804-1811. It was made from hand-hewn boards and square hand-made nails. The church has box pews and a pulpit that rises half-way to the ceiling. Open daily 9 am to dusk from May to October. Allow 30 minutes. Free admission.
Grand Pre Wines
11611 Highway 1, Grand Pre, NS, BOP 1M0
Hanspeter acquired this run-down winery and cleaned up 30 acres of abandoned vineyard. By replanting the original estate vineyard, and planting a new well-drained, south-facing, 15 acre vineyard in the nearby Gaspereau Valley.
This 500 person community lies on the north side of the Annapolis River, and is known for its many Victorian-style homes, some dating back to the 1700s. Door hinges in the shapes of H's and L's, known as Holy Lord hinges, were brought by New Englanders to ward off witchcraft.
North Hills Museum
Off Highway 1
This large 200-year-old farm house with elegant Georgian decor was created by 18th century antiques collector Robert P. Patterson, who lived here among his fine collection of 18th-century paintings, furniture and furnishings. Furnishings are from English mahogany, oak and walnut, and dressers are filled with New Hall dishes from the1700's, rare Worcester and Spode china, and superb glass. Open June 1 - Oct.15, Monday - Saturday from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm and Sundays from 1 - 5:50 pm. Admission by donation.