Greenwood is located between the Fales and Annapolis Rivers was the commercial hub of the area.
The area was settled by Loyalists in the 1770's in the aftermath of the American Revolution,
when approximately 60,000 Loyalists migrated to Canada in support of the Crown.
Present day Greenwood was originally two communities, Greenwood Square, so named because of
the majestic pine trees, and the original Kingston Village (not to be confused with
Kingston Station two kilometres further north). In 1940, Greenwood was selected
as the site to built the Royal Air Force training base for its flat land and
fog-free climate during World War II. The RAF Station became the RCAF Station
in 1944 and in 1968 the station became Canadian Forces Base Greenwood.
Official website: http://village.greenwood.ns.ca/
Business listings for Greenwood
Greenwood Military Aviation Museum
1 Ward Rd, Greenwood
902-765-1494 ext 5955
Artifacts illustrate the roles performed by military aviation in Atlantic Canada, particularly the 14th Wing based at the Greenwood Military Base. Displays include an Argus, Neptune, and Lancaster p edestal aircraft, several hundred models, squadron displays, uniforms, photos, videos, books, and more.
Open year-round: Daily 9 to 5 June-August, and Tues-day-Saturday 10 am to 4 pm the rest of the year. No charge, though donations are welcome